A Comprehensive Guidelines on How to Install a Marine Battery in 10 Easy Steps
The beating core of all the electrical arrangements onboard a vessel is determined by batteries. Additionally, it is imperative to choose a best-suited type and size of the battery for your vessel to coincide your requirement along with the load. Moreover, it is very crucial to choose a best-suited and high-powerful battery for your vessel which can meet up all your requirements and needs. Additionally, there are several types of reasons that you may require to replace the battery of the vessel.
In case, if you are wondering how to install a marine battery. Then, don’t fret, pat your back as you have dropped in the right and correct page. Here we have rounded up some of the easiest and effective steps which would probably help you to install a marine battery effectively. Thus, without delaying too much, let’s get into the marine battery installations steps directly.
Important Points to Consider Before Starting the Installation Process:
Before going through the installation process of the marine battery, you may require the below-stated equipment and tools. These tools and equipment will help you a lot to install the battery on your marine. The tools/equipment are as follows:
- Heat Gun
- Cutting Tool
- Cable Ties
- Heat Shrink
- Battery Cables which is black and red colored
- A terminal of the Battery
- A thick rubber mat or Battery box to place the marine battery
- Battery for the vessel.
- Now, you can go through the installation steps to install the battery on your vessel.
Top Ten Easy Steps to Install a Battery on your Vessel
You may come up with the several types of installation procedures to install a battery on your vessel. But, you need to perform some steps as well which can ensure the optimum solution in no time. Here, in this post, we are about to discuss some of the most effective and easy steps to install the battery and this installation steps will ease up your pain and make things work for you.
Thus, go through the below-stated steps and install a battery without any hassle.
At first, you need to choose a perfect location for the battery of your vessel. The location where you are going to install the battery must be dry, cool and high than the other components of the vessel. You need to protect the battery from the water. (Note: Elevated accommodation temperatures maximize the rate of the self-discharge of the batteries of your vessel and decrease the time of the storage in between the charges of the requisite freshening.)
After that, you need to choose a perfect place to install the switch of your marine battery. This time also you need to ensure that the place of the switch must be dry and safe. As this is the mater of electric, so you need to choose an ideal and safe place to install it. Additionally, you need to make sure regarding the place of the switch that it must be easy to access and operate.
To install the switch of the battery, you need to estimate the proper gap and distance from the switch of the battery and to the +ve terminal of your battery.
After that, you need to estimate the proper gap and distance from the switch of the battery to the +ve terminus of your devices or till the bus bar.
Next, measure the proper gap and distance from the bar of the bus to the –ve terminal of the marine battery.
Now, you need to arrange the cable of the battery by following-through the below-described steps. The steps are as follows:
- To prepare your cable, at first, you need to shred the outside scabbard of the wire to expose. Moreover, you need to shred the outside scabbard of the wire approximately 10mm of the bare wire.
- After that, cut the 30mm of the heat shrink.
- Next, you need to combine the lugs to the imperiled or extended part of the wire.
- Now, fold the lugs of the cable.
- You may require to slide the heat shrink above the wire lug.
- Now, you need to use the heat gun. The heat gun will help you to melt the heat shrink into place.
- Once all the steps are complete, proceed further with the below-stated steps.
Now, you need to place the switch of the battery.
After that, attach the cables to the battery of your vessel that you are going to install.
Tighten the terminals.
Now, you need to provide some finishing touches to the entire battery installation procedures.
- Adjust the cables or wire of the battery tidily with the help of the cable ties.
- Defend the terminals through sprinkling Boeshield on the terminals to block corrosion.
Finally, you are done! Whenever all the above-stated steps are complete, you need to check the battery to verify that the battery is properly installed on your vessel so, it can offer hassle-free power supply to your entire voyage. Check all the power sockets and boards of the vessel.
Take a Look at the Easy Battery Installation Tricks and Tips
Here we are going to present a list of tricks which can help you to install the battery effectively and effortlessly. The tricks are stated hereunder.
- You need to maintain a particular space between the batteries to allow for convection cooling process whenever installing multiplied batteries on the vessel. Space must be ½” between the batteries to concede for convection cooling. In case, if included, ensure the cabinet or container and room have sufficient coolness to block aggregation of the conceivably vented gas.
- In case, if the batteries are installed on the vessel side by side, then all the batteries must be installed along with the terminals of the correct and accurate polarity -ve or +ve to the exterior of the reef.
- Whenever you complete the installation of the batteries on the shelf of your vessel then, you need to make a note of the installed batteries by providing some particular numbers and signs. This numbering process can help you for future identification or proof while maintaining the batteries to enhance their backup.
- You need to make sure that the cables are connected properly with the batteries and power socket boards. Additionally, check the cables properly to avert short-circuit on the vessel.
- You need to place the battery in such a place which is easily accessible for the maintenance of the battery.
Here are Some Safety Guidelines for the Marine Battery
By following the below-described guidelines, you can keep your vessel safe and secure from the sudden short-circuits. Moreover, it is very crucial to keep your entire vessel safe and secure for the voyage. Whatever the voyage is, may it long or short, you need to make an uninterrupted power connection on the voyage.
So, follow the below-described safety guidelines for the marine battery.
- Whenever you connect the cables with the battery, after that, you need to tape up the edges of any disconnected or loose cables with the black-tapes to avert arcing and short-circuits on your vessel.
- You need to turn off the switch of the battery before attaching the cables with the positive terminal of the marine battery.
- In case, if you join two cables or wire in a single connection then, you need to make sure that the punching portion of the cables is perfectly taped up with the black-tapes.
- Turn off all the connections while connecting the wires to the batteries and power socket boards.
The sensor of the battery temperature enhances the overall performance and backup of the battery. Moreover, it can develop the charge control of the marine battery. It is very crucial and significant to employ the correct voltage of the charge for obtaining the terminal longevity and life of the battery. Additionally, it can help you to gain the optimum performance of the battery on the voyage. In addition, the absolute voltage of the charge needed by marine batteries changes along with the temperature of the battery. In this process, the temperature sensor of the battery plays a big and crucial role.
The temperature sensor of the battery subtracts the charge controller to continuously balance charge voltage based on the substantive temperature of the battery. Generally, temperature consideration of the charge voltage ensures that the battery receives the appropriate voltage of the charge as the battery temperature fluctuations during the ordinary or normal maintenance.
In a Nutshell
We hope the above-stated installation stepwise guide will be sufficient and effective to install the battery on your vessel. Moreover, this article carries an effective guideline on ‘How to install a marine battery in 10 easy steps’. Thus, follow the steps and implement them carefully to install a battery on your vessel effortlessly. Additionally, we have described the effective technical tips and safety guidelines regarding the marine battery. For more marine-related articles, keep following our upcoming posts. However, if you are unable to understand the installation steps or need further clarification to install the battery, you can post your queries anytime. We will be happy to revert you back!